I Ate Eggs Yesterday!

You heard me right. I ate eggs yesterday.

Actually I ate an omelet with fresh spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and hot sauce on it.

Love me some hot sauce.

Now, I don’t normally eat eggs or any kind of animal product. Just the thought of meat really grosses me out now and dairy just doesn’t settle well in my stomach anymore.

How do I know this? Well, I’ve experimented with it all.

After going 100% raw for over a year I decided I would try a roasted almond just to see how it tasted since my taste buds had changed so much. As I put it in my mouth, I could taste it’s saltiness, then it’s deeper layer of flavor that comes from the roasting. Right away I knew I preferred the sweeter, more natural flavor of raw sprouted and dehydrated almonds, but honestly, it wasn’t bad.

As it swallowed it and it moved into my stomach, I noticed something else. I could FEEL my body reacting to it. I wouldn’t call it a bad reaction, but I could feel the oils and how different they were from the raw almonds I usually have. This perked my curiosity as to how my body would react to other cooked foods.

So, I started to experiment a little at a time with a bite here and a bite there of whole, cooked, plant based foods and even a few of the naughty things like cake. It became a game to see how I would react to certain things.

I can tell you right now, I don’t like how cake feels, so I won’t eat it anymore. This is coming from a former junk food addict. I could smell a piece of cake from a mile away and would be on the hunt. I was lucky to get away with eating only one piece.

I found that the heavy, greasy feeling cake gives me does not feel good and I noticed right away that the negative self talk like “You shouldn’t have eaten that” “You KNOW that’s not good for you” type of phrases started to surface. After 1 bite, I put the fork down. It wasn’t for me anymore. That made me smile to know that I really wasn’t attached to it anymore and the fear of falling back into wanting or eating it again melted away.

I realized that eating cleaner gave me the ability to really listen to what my body needed instead of what it thought it needed through addictions to things like sugar.

As I go along this healthier raw food journey, I have discovered through others that most people THRIVE on an 80% raw food diet. Leaving the other 20% open to cooked foods that also make them feel good.

This is how I eat now. I eat around 80% to 100% raw. Depending on the day.

I leave that 20% open to be able to go out to dinner with my friends and chose things like great salad choices with cooked quinoa, or sushi (veggie of course) or even a warm cup of soup in the winter time if that is what I feel I need.

I always make choices that make me feel good. If for some reason I chose something that doesn’t feel good, I know not to get that particular dish the next time. I don’t beat myself up about it anymore.

I want to remove the stigma that everyone has to eat 100% raw all of the time. My intention is not to intimidate others with the idea that I only eat raw and I can’t eat anything else.

I CHOOSE to eat raw.

I also choose to enjoy how I feel.

If a particular cooked food sounds good, like a creamy butternut squash soup made with almond milk, chances are I’m going to go ahead and make it.

Now back to the omelet story…

When the desire to have some scrambled eggs surfaced, I was actually quite resistant to it at first. But it was persistent. So, I had a “come to Jesus” meeting with myself and after giving myself permission to at least try them to see if there was something in them that I may be needing at this time, I ate an omelet.

The whole thing.

Except for 1 bite. I was too full for that last little bite.

I felt pretty good afterwards. I didn’t have any weird or negative reaction to it, besides feeling a little more sluggish than usual.

Guess I needed it.

I’m telling you this so you know that I’m still human. Going raw isn’t always the easiest thing, especially when there are so many societal pressures. It is much easier when you slowly ease into it by changing your habits and feeling what’s best for you.

Raw feels amazing.

Listening to yourself feels even better.

I don’t plan on eating an omelet again any time soon, but if I feel I need one, I will give myself permission to eat it.

 

Hugs,
natalie-signature

areyourawyet

Share:
Written by Natalie Collins
Natalie Marie Collins is a certified Raw Food Nutritionist and Brilliant Business Coach. She is passionate about how easy it is to change your body, lose weight and glow with fresh whole foods.